About Krnica

Da Rocco tavern in Krnica

Da Rocco tavern

Da Rocco is a traditional Istrian tavern (in Croatian: konoba) located in the village of Krnica, situated on the east coast of Istria, approximately a 20-minute drive away from Pula or Labin.

Krnica (Carnitia) is located on the east coast of Istria, at an altitude of 195m. The true symbol of Krnica is undoubtedly the bell tower of the church of Saint Roch, which dominates the scenery. The place was founded by refugees from Dalmatia who named it Saint Mary of Krnica, and it consequently became known as just Krnica.
The wild landscape of its surroundings is characterised by sharp gorges and reefs, and plateaus above them that provide a magnificent view of the Kvarner Gulf and its various islands. With its hidden coves, enchanting underwater world, low Mediterranean vegetation, unmistakable scent of maquis shrubland and pine forests, Krnica, with its surrounding places, offers the possibility of a quick escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and a long vacation we all need to “reset” our body and mind.
The local port, Krnički Porat, is brimming with numerous fish markets, and the starting point of local fishermen, who have been using seafood to feed their families since time immemorial, using it in various dishes, and also trading them for other necessary commodities. For those with picky palates, who enjoy seafood, Krnički Porat always offers fresh shrimp and fish, which are prepared according to traditional recipes used back in the day. The port is also the starting point for many adventurers who wish to partake in diving adventures, while those who are more tranquil in nature prefer to indulge by going on a peaceful and relaxing walk surrounded by unspoiled nature.


In Roman times, Via Flanatica passed through this place, which was the road running from Pula to Liburnia. The Romans built several buildings in the nearby area, including a fort whose main task was to oversee the road. In 1903, in a cave near Krnica, a chest full of gold and bronze coins from the Roman era was found. According to some research, the name of the village, Krnica, is associated with the Celtic word KAR, which means stone. The first mention of Krnica dates back to 1243. After that, due to wars and the plague, the village was abandoned, and the first record of a larger number of its inhabitants dates back to 1520, when the then-immigrants from Dalmatia, who were refugees, named it “Saint Mary of Krnica”, and it consequently became known as just Krnica.


Follow our journey

You can find out more about our journey and our offer through our Instagram and Facebook pages!